National Underwear Day 2021: Everything You Need to Know
We love a special occasion at Pants & Socks HQ as much as the next person. With the welcoming warmth of summer fast approaching, we’re ready to kick back, relax, and enjoy the better weather.
And one of those special summer days coming up at speed is NATIONAL UNDERWEAR DAY 2021.
As if we needed an excuse to go all-out with our favourite pants and socks? This is our very own Pantsman’s favourite holiday, of course. He dazzles us every year with a stupendous new underwear look and is always ready with advice on how we can raise the bar with our own.
The Pantsman is also keen that everyone follows his mantra. “Embrace your body image. Tall? Short? Thick? Thin? Young? Old? Be confident in your pants.” - the Pantsman has only one request for this day of celebration: that we display our best underwear and feel confident in our skin. He certainly does. And it would be foolish to neglect his advice.
So, here’s the lowdown on National Underwear Day - when it is, what it is, and the very best ways to celebrate this most special of special occasions.
What is National Underwear Day?
As you may have guessed already, National Underwear Day is all about embracing the comfort and style of a great item of underwear.
It’s about body positivity and feeling good in your own skin.
It’s about having the confidence to wear a truly outrageous, sexy, colourful, comfortable, or stylish pair of pants.
If you have a favourite pair, then this is the time to let them loose from your drawers. Our pants are an often overlooked element of our wardrobes. This day is all about showing them - and yourself - some love.
Seize the day. Step out in just your pants. Yes, just your pants.
When is National Underwear Day?
The next National Underwear Day is on August 5th 2021. National Underwear Day is celebrated every year on 5th of August to encourage everyone to wear their favourite underwear.
You got that? The 5th of August. Grab your calendar and pencil it in, pronto!
We fully expect you to be kitted out, stripped down, and ready to display your finest underwear. The Pantsman demands it.
National Underwear Day history
This special occasion doesn’t have a long history. In fact, it was first founded in 2003 by American underwear company, Freshpair.
Over the last 17 years, the occasion has certainly grown in popularity due to an increased focus on positive attitudes about our wide range of body shapes. It’s all about confidence, folks - and a stunning pair of pants can certainly help you feel that bit more snazzy.
After all, your underwear may be the most important items of clothing you own! You wear them almost every day and they have the power to make you feel amazing no matter what you wear on top. It doesn’t matter if you want something bursting with colour, or muted and understated. Tight-fitting and flattering, or something a bit more loose. We’re all individuals and National Underwear Day is about embracing that.
So, how do you celebrate National Underwear Day?
This one is up to you - so long as it involves underwear in some way, shape, or form!
Fortunately, as you may have guessed, we’re quite the group of experts at Pants & Socks, guided as we are by the incomparable Pantsman. Here’s a handy list of suggestions that some of our colleagues follow every year:
- Watch Tom Cruise’s 1983 classic, Risky Business. It’s the final word in sexy cinema and the perfect accompaniment to an evening of lounging on the sofa in your very finest pants.
- Buy a dazzling new pair of underwear - visit our underwear page and treat yourself to a brand new pair of boxers, briefs, trunks, or whatever takes your fancy! Stick to an old classic, or go out on a limb and try something new - it’s up to you!
- Read up on the history of underwear - you never know what you might find out! We’d recommend, Unmentionables: A brief history of underwear by Elaine Benson and John Esten. Or the slightly more weighty The Story of Men’s Underwear by Dr Shaun Cole
- Clear out your underwear drawer - throw out the old, holey pairs and make way for some fresh, new, comfortable beauties…
- (And to go with the above) rank your current underwear - which is your favourite? Which could be replaced? Do you want more colour or pattern in your collection? Which is the most comfortable? Which is best for work? There are so many ways and categories in which you can rank your pants!
- If you are working from home try “Working from Pants” - if you don’t already
- Step out in nothing but your pants, whether you are off to the shops or going down the pub (hint: it is probably best not wear anything too revealing!)
The Pantsman is normally a bit coy about his plans for National Underwear Day … but this year he plans to keep it a little more low-key. Allegedly.
Of course, his ‘low-key’ is sunbathing in his brightest polka-dot trunks with a healthy supply of appropriately decanted Chianti Classico and his copy of Unmentionables - providing the weather holds up, of course. If not, then he shall almost certainly be found lounging indoors in his pants with the curtains flung wide that the world may behold his glory. Nothing will stop the Pantsman from embracing National Underwear Day. Not even the ever-changing British weather.
He has been known to dance in the rain wearing only his pants, after all…
I’ve seen it.
It was spectacular.
So, without further ado, all there is left to say is:
Have a happy National Underwear Day 2021!
From all of us at Pants & Socks HQ, we’d like to take this opportunity to wish you the happiest of National Underwear Days and continuing success in 2021!
In the run-up to the 5th August, we’ll be posting heaps more helpful hints, tips, advice, and knowledge about pants, courtesy of the Pantsman. So, keep an eye on our blog and ensure that you’re as prepared as you can be to grab your favourite pair of pants and celebrate in style!